Friday Night Blackouts At Citi Field to Continue Throughout Remainder of 2021 Season
FLUSHING, N.Y., July 15, 2021 – The New York Mets today announced the team’s black jerseys will return on Friday, July 30 when the Mets host the Cincinnati Reds at 7:10 p.m. The Mets will wear their black Nike jerseys that night and all Friday nights at Citi Field for the remainder of the 2021 regular season.
In celebration of the return, the first 12,000 fans in attendance July 30 will receive a Black Francisco Lindor Mets T-Shirt presented by New Balance. Tickets are on sale now at Mets.com/Tickets. With Citi Field back at full capacity, the Mets encourage fans to take mass transit and arrive early.
The Mets originally introduced the black jerseys in 1998 and they remained in the team’s alternate jersey rotation through the 2012 season. The Mets last wore a home black jersey July 21, 2012.
For more information on purchasing a black jersey, go to Mets.com/TeamStore to fill out an inquiry form. MLB and the manufacturers manage the merchandise process and are working towards a retail sale in time for the holidays. Black T-shirts and caps and other merchandise will be available at the Mets Team Store at Citi Field starting July 30.
The Mets will wear black jerseys August 13 vs. Los Angeles Dodgers; August 27 vs. Washington Nationals; Friday, September 10 vs. New York Yankees; Friday, September 17 vs. Philadelphia Phillies.
Memorable Mets Moments wearing the Black Jerseys through the years:
- June 9, 1999 – Bobby Valentine was ejected and returned in disguise
- October 5, 1999 – Edgardo Alfonzo has 2 HR, 5 RBI in Game 1 of the 1999 NLDS
- October 17, 1999 – Robin Ventura’s “grand slam single” in Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS
- June 11, 2000 – Robin Ventura tarp slides at Yankee Stadium, posing as Mike Piazza
- June 30, 2000 – 10-run inning vs. Atlanta capped by 3-run Piazza HR
- October 8, 2000 – Bobby Jones throws a one-hitter in Game 4 of the 2000 NLDS
- October 16, 2000 – Mets win the NL Pennant, Game 5 of the 2000 NLCS
- July 13, 2001 – Mike Piazza’s 300th career HR
- May 5, 2004 – Piazza 352nd HR – most all-time by catcher
- July 26, 2004 – David Wright’s first major league homer
- September 18, 2006 – Mets clinch 2006 NL East crown
- May 12, 2011 – Carlos Beltran has a 3 HR game at Coors Field
- July 9, 2013 – Pedro Martinez records his 3,000th strikeout